I know that A and THE are tricky for a lot of English learners. Well, in some cases, mixing up A or THE can result in a miscommunication. Today we’re going to look at five phrases, like in a way and in the way. Using a or the in each phrase changes the meaning, so you’ll want to be sure to chose the right word. Let’s get right into it.
Here are the example sentences. To get the details of this English lesson, you need to listen to the podcast or check the transcript for the details.
As of February 14th, the transcript package includes all of the Episodes, including this one.
- In a way, living in a city is better than living in the suburbs because everything you need is close by.
- Jack is a smart guy, but in a way, he’s annoying because sometimes he asks too many questions.
- I wasn’t able to drive down the street because a truck was in the way.
- It was difficult to see the stage because there was a tall guy si tting in front of me and he was in the way.
- Be careful of the boss today. Sales are down this month so he’s in a mood.
- Jane said her husband is in a mood because his favorite team lost the game.
- I’m in the mood to have pizza for lunch.
- Listening to classical music puts me in the mood to relax.
- All of the gates in that airport are in a loop.
- That train line is in a loop around the city.
- I don’t know about the company’s expansion plans because I’m not in the loop.
- If you hear anything about the boss giving everyone a raise please keep me in the loop.
- Jenny’s husband works in the kitchen in a hospital.
- You’re never allowed to smoke in a hospital.
- Kim was in the hospital for two days after she had the baby.
- I was surprised to hear that Tommy has never been in the hospital.
- For a moment I thought it was snowing, but it’s actually raining.
- John was just here for a moment to drop off a package.
- The doctors office said that for the moment they don’t have any open appointments.
- For the moment, I think it’s a good idea, but let’s see how it goes.
If you know anyone who might be interested in this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!